Easy Puffed Pastry
You need to allow the dough to chill overnight but if you have the time its much more flakier if you freeze it and then defrost it and use it.
You can even substitute half the butter for shortening if you like. Use this recipe for any recipe that requires puff pastry. Also I have split this recipe in half and quartered it as well and it works great!
- 1 c
- cold butter or 1/2 shortening + 1/2 butter
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- sour cream, full fat
- 1/4 tsp
How to Make Easy Puffed Pastry
- 1In a large bowl mix the flour and salt. Cut in 1 cup butter (or half butter/half shortening equaling one cup) into flour until crumbly, leaving pea-sized chunks.
Note: If using salted butter omit the salt.
- 2Stir in sour cream, and mix well; dough will be very sticky.
- 3Form dough into a flattened disk(this will help when rolling the puff pastry out) Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours, or overnight. You can freeze the dough at this point and defrost at your convenience.
TIP: Take the dough out of the freezer ahead of time to defrost in the fridge. If you have placed it in the fridge allow 30 minutes for it to become pliable enough for you to roll it out. The dough should remain cold in order to make the pastry puff.
- 4Roll dough to 1/4 of an inch and use for any recipe requiring puffed pastry.