☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 ccold butter
3 call purpose flour (3 - 3 1/4)
1 pkgactive dry yeast
1/4 cwarm water
1/4 csugar, plus 3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 ccold milk, plus 1 tablespoon cold milk
1 clight raisins
1 tspground cardamom
1 1/2 csifted confectioners sugar
1/4 cfinely chopped blanched almonds
How to Make Danish Kringle
- Preheat oven to 375F.
Cut 3/4 cup butter into 1/4 cup flour. Chill while preparing dough.
- Soften yeast in warm water in mixing bowl.
- Beat egg and reserve 1 tablespoon for topping.
- Add egg, 3 tablespoons sugar, 3/4 cup cold milk and salt to yeast mixture.
- Blend in 2 3/4 to 3 cups flour to form a stiff dough. Roll out on well-floured surface to a 12-inch square.
- Roll out chilled butter-flour mixture between 2 sheets of waxed paper to a 10 x 4-inch rectangle. Remove top sheet of waxed paper; invert butter-flour mixture onto half of dough.
- Remove remaining sheet of waxed paper. Fold other half of dough over mixture and roll out to a 12-inch square. Repeat rolling and folding 3 times. Wrap in waxed paper. Chill 30 minutes.
- Cover raisins with boiling water. Let stand 5 minutes; drain well.
- Cream 1/4 -cup butter with cardamom and confectioners' sugar. Blend in 1 tablespoon milk until cardamom mixture is of spreading consistency.
- Roll out dough to a 24 x 12-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into two 24 x 6-inch strips. Spread each with cardamom mixture. Sprinkle with raisins. Roll up each strip, starting with 24-inch side. Moisten edges and seal well.
- Stretch each roll to 30 inches. Place on greased cookie sheets and form into pretzel shapes; seal any breaks. Flatten to 1/2-inch thickness. Brush with reserved egg.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and almonds; sprinkle over rolls. Cover; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375º for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Danish Pastry:
Prepare dough as directed in recipe. Do not make filling. Cut the 24 x 12-inch rectangle into 4-inch squares. Place 1 teaspoon jam, almond paste or Sweetened applesauce in center of each. Fold opposite corners to center. Moisten edges; press to seal. Top with egg and sugar-almond mixture and let stand as directed for Kringle. Bake at 425º for 12 to 15 minutes.