CUBAN FLAN(EGG CUSTARD)
3eggs (or can use egg beaters)
1 can(s)fat-free evaporated milk(8 oz)
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1 cmilk 2 %(you can use whole milk if you prefer)
1 csplenda or truvia or real sugar
1 1/4 cwater to make caramel
3/4 csugar(cannot use substitute sugar)
How to Make CUBAN FLAN(EGG CUSTARD)
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients except the REAL sugar/water for the caramel. Set aside. Be sure to wash the top of the can and shake it well before pouring.
- Using a 3 qt Corningware casserole(it's what I use, but if you have another mold you can put on both stove top and oven, you can use that too.), put in water and sugar. Heat until sugar is boiling.
- When it turns golden brown(makes a caramel), and using pot holders, swirl the caramel so that all sides and bottom of mold are completely coated. This prevents the flan from sticking to the sides of the mold.
- Pour the mixture into the mold. Put the mold onto a pan half-way full of water(Bain Marie) and put in oven for 45- 55 mins. When you insert a knife into the middle of the flan, and the knife comes out dry, the flan is done.
- Again using potholders, place a serving platter over the mold, and quickly turn it over. This can be a little tricky. If the flan sticks, turn it back and carefully run a knife around the edge of the mold to loosen the flan. Then turn the mold upside down again over the platter. Cool and serve.