Crystallized Ginger,Ginger Syrup & Ginger Sugar
How to Make Crystallized Ginger,Ginger Syrup & Ginger Sugar
- 1Peel and slice ginger into 2 inch lengths and 1/8th inch thick. Using a mandoline slicer will give you uniform slices with ease and quickness.
- 2Toss sugar and ginger together.
- 3In a large heavy bottom pan heat water add sugared ginger and bring to a very slow simmer.
- 4Stir over low heat occasionally for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- 5The ginger will become translucent and the sugar will crystallize on the edge of the pan.
- 6Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar on parchment paper or a silicone mat. Lay drained ginger on sugar. Toss the sugar when ginger has cooled enough to handle (about 10 minutes) to coat evenly.
- 7Place in an air tight container out of heat and light.
- 8The yummy sugar that is left over can be saved in a jar and used for tea, sugar the rim of glasses drinks or in baking cookies or cakes
- 9And for the left over syrup add 1 cup water heat to mix and use as you would corn syrup.