- 2 1/2 c
- heavy (double) cream
- vanilla bean, split
- egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 c
- confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 c
- all pourpose flour
- 4 Tbsp
- 4 Tbsp
- each, grated peel of lemon and lime
- 1/2 c
- unsalted butter
FOR THE SHORTIES..
How to Make Creme Brulee with lemon and lime shorties
- 1Heat the cream with the vanilla bean until it reaches boiling point. Whisk the egg yolks with the granulated sugar and pour the mixture over the hot cream
- 2Stir the mixture over a low heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, Strain into a pitcher, then pour into six ramekins.
- 3Stand the ramekins in a roasting pan half full of water and cook in a preheated oven, 300 F, for 1 hour, Let cool, then chill for at least 3 hours. Just before serving, dust thickly with confectioners' sugar. Place the ramekins Under a preheated broiler for 3-4 minutes.
- 4Make the shorties while the creme brulees are baking: mix together the flour, cornstarch, sugar and lemon and lime peel. Rub in the butter, then bring the crumbs together to form a smooth ball. Roll out onto a lightly floured surface and stamp out 12-14 rounds with a 3 inch cookie cutter.
- 5Place on a nonstick cookie sheet and cook in a preheated oven 325 F. for 20 min until goldent. Let cool until crisp and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.