Note #2) Add the creme a little at a time at first to prevent the egg mixture from cooking into scrambled eggs.
Note #3) It may be easier/safer to place the pan on the rack of your oven before adding the hot water. Be careful to avoid getting water into the ramekins.
FINALLY, this recipe is nowhere near as difficult as it seems, and it is incredible! It is a favorite of friends and family alike, and is often requested. Enjoy!
- 1 qt
- heavy cream
- vanilla bean
- 1 c
- vanilla sugar
- 6 large
- egg yolks
- hot water
- 2 lb
- vanilla beans
How to Make Creme Brulee
- 1Preheat oven to 325 F.
- 2Place Heavy Cream in a 2 qt sauce pan. Split vanilla bean in half, lengthwise. Scrape "paste" (seeds) with back of knife and add to cream. Add bean pod to cream.
- 3Bring cream mixture to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and allow to sit for 15 mins.
- 4While cream mixture rests, add 1/2 cup vanilla sugar and all 6 yolks to a medium bowl. Whisk just until color starts to lighten.
- 5Place hand towel in bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish and arrange 6 (7-8 oz) ramekins on towel.
- 6Remove vanilla bean pod from cream. SLOWLY add cream to egg mixture, whisking CONSTANTLY. (see note #2)
- 7Ladel mixture evenly into the ramekins.
- 8Add enough hot water to come half way up the side of the ramekins.(see note #3) Carefully place the pan, uncovered, in the oven and bake 40 - 45 minutes until the creme brulee is set but still trembling in the center.
- 9Remove ramekins from the baking pan and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours - 3 days.
- 1030 minutes before serving, remove from the refrigerator and allow to warm slightly. Sprinkle a rounded tablespoon of the remaining vanilla sugar onto the top of each creme brulee.
- 11With a propane torch, use constant motion to warm the sugar, and slowly melt it. Tilt and rotate the ramekin to allow the molten sugar to spread evenly across the top.
As soon as sugar takes on a "caramel" color, stop heating and allow to cool for a few minutes. (This allows the melted sugar to harden into a "caramel glass").