- 3 c
- coconut milk, approximately (reduced fat not recommended)
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- yellow cornmeal (if your corn meal seems too "gritty" you can whirl it in a clean coffee mill but be sure not to make corn flour!)
How to Make Coo-Coo (Caribbean Polenta)
- 1In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together the coconut milk, butter and salt. Bring *almost* to the boil.
- 2Gradually stir in the cornmeal. Lower heat and cook the mixture for approximately 5-10 minutes, stirring constantly with spoon to prevent sticking (my non-stick pan worked really well for this recipe!) Stir until the mixture thickens and leaves the sides of the pan. If however, it becomes too thick, stir in a little more coconut water or milk.
- 3Pour the mixture into a greased 8" x 8" ovenproof pan. Set aside for a couple minutes then cut into squares and serve warm. I think I let the coo coo set for about 10 minutes. The second time I prepared this I added a little bit of vanilla paste and a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg. Either version is good!