Caramelized Pineapple Confit
Blue Ribbon Recipe
I loved the flavor the vanilla beans added to the pineapple. Baking the pineapple made it even sweeter! Spooned over some vanilla ice cream this is a simple and refreshing summertime dessert.
I was a little short on time in the Test Kitchen and really wanted to try this, so I prepared the confit version of this recipe. Next time, I'm definitely going to try the caramel version! The Test Kitchen
1 largeripe hawaiian pineapple
3vanilla bean pods
3 cpineapple juice
CARAMEL SAUCE (OPTIONAL)
2 Tbspunsalted butter
3 Tbspdark brown sugar
2 Tbsprum (preferrably dark rum)
How to Make Caramelized Pineapple Confit
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel the pineapple. Split the vanilla beans lengthwise. Cut the split beans in half so you have 12 pieces. Stab the vanilla beans into the pineapple so that they are inserted. Place the pineapple lengthwise in a casserole dish. Pour the pineapple juice into the dish.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, basting every 10 minutes, as well as rotating the pineapple so each side is cooked evenly. Remove from the oven and leave at room temperature until ready to serve.
- Before serving, remove the vanilla beans and discard. Cut the pineapple into chunks when ready to plate.
- ALTERNATIVE (OPTIONAL): Add butter, dark brownsugar and dark rum to saucepan. Bring sauce to a slow boil and cook until caramelized. Spoon over pineapple before placing in oven. Or add cooked confit to caramel sauce ingredients, bring sauce to a slow boil and cook until caramelized. Serve over premium vanilla bean or french vanilla ice cream.
- Carmelized Pineapple Confit. Done!