Caramelized Carrot Paste Delight with Nuts (Cezery
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
14 ozcarrots (3 medium to large carrots), cleaned and grated
1 1/4 cbrown sugar, packed
2 ozwalnuts, chopped into small pieces
1/3 cdessicated coconut flakes, to garnish
·bowl of water to shape balls
How to Make Caramelized Carrot Paste Delight with Nuts (Cezery
- Place the grated carrots, ½ cup water and sugar in a wide, heavy pan.
- Cook over medium heat, uncovered, stirring often. Cook this way for about 30 minutes or until all the liquid evaporated.
- Stir in the rest of the ½ cup water and cook again on medium heat, stirring continuously (carrots also release their own juice, therefore I prefer to add the liquid a step at a time so that the carrots won’t become mushy).
- Cook the carrots until all the juice evaporated and they are softened, this should take another 30 minutes. Using your stirring spoon, mash the cooked carrots to turn into a thick, chunky paste. At this point, they should also thicken, start to caramelize and get sticky (you can take a little bit between your fingers to test whether it sticks or not). Turn the heat off.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts to the carrot paste and mix well. Again using your stirring spoon, blend them all well and turn into a thick paste.
- Cover a small rectangular dish or tray with parchment paper. Spread the carrot paste evenly and tightly, making sure they stay intact, with a height of 1,5 cm (0.6”).
- Cover with a cling film and rest the mixture to settle for 2 hours in fridge.
- After 2 hours, start shaping the carrot paste. Have a bowl of water near you. Wet your hands, take a dessert spoonful and shape into small round balls. Or wet your knife and cut into small squares.
- Spread the desiccated coconut flakes on a dry surface and coat the carrot balls and squares with the flakes to coat all over.
- Cezerye is ready to serve. Cezerye keeps well in an air tight container for a week