How to Make Beinets
- Pour boiling water over shortening, sugar, and salt. Add milk and let stand until warm.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water and add to milk mixture with the beaten egg.
- Stir in 2 cups flour and beat well. Gradually add remaining flour to make a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl and grease top of dough. (I use canola oil to grease bowl and top of dough).
- Cover with waxed paper and a tea towel. Chill until ready to use.
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Do not let dough rise before frying.
- Cut into squares and fry a few at a time in deep hot fat and brown on one side, turn and brown on the other side. (They get done really fast!)
- Drain on absorbent paper and sprinkle well with powdered sugar. (Make sure grease isn't too hot or dough too thick).