Baklava (Honey Nut Pastry)
The church ladies left out a lot of basic directions, assuming you already knew, and I have changed a thing or two to compensate. Enjoy! Opa!
How to Make Baklava (Honey Nut Pastry)
- 1Combine chopped nuts and spices.
- 2Grease 10x15 inch pan and line with 5 layers of Filo. NOTE: Filo/Phyllo sheets may be found in your grocer's freezer. Follow the directions on the box for handling the dough and be sure to keep the Filo from drying out.
- 3Sprinkle with nut mixture and cover with another Filo Sheet. Repeat this step until nut mixture is all used.
- 4Top with another 5 layers of Filo.
- 5Melt butter and pour over all.
- 6Cut diagonally into diamond shaped pieces of desired serving size. You may want to place a clove bud in the center of each piece.
- 7Bake 2 hours at 250 degrees.
- 8Remove from oven and cover with syrup.
- 9To make the syrup boil water, sugar and honey to a thick syrup consistancy. Add the small cinnamon stick, remove from heat and add the juice of 1/2 lemon.