How to Make Baklava
- 1preheat oven to 350 degrees. butter the bottoms and sides of a 9x13 inch pan.
- 2chop nuts and toss with cinnamon, set aside. unroll phyllo dough. cut whole stack in half to fit pan. cover phyllo with a damp cloth to keep from drying out as you work with it. place two sheets of dough in the pan, butter thoroughly. repeat until you have 8 sheet layers. sprinkle some of the nut mixture on top.top with two more sheets of dough, butter, nuts layering as you go. the top layer should be about 6 to 8 sheets deep.
- 3using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan.bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.
- 4start makeing your sauce about 30 minutes after you but the baklava in the oven. while baklava is baking. boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. add vanilla and honey. simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 5remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it. let cool. serve in cupcake papers. this will also frezz well. make sure you leave this uncovered because it will get soggy if it's wrapped up.