1 pkgphyllo dough
1 cbutter, melted
1 lbnuts chopped (your choice or mixture of walnuts, pecans, pistachios, almonds)
2 Tbspcinnamon, ground
1 tspclove, ground
1 1/4 csugar
1 tspvanilla extract or almond extract
How to Make Baklava
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- place chopped nuts in a large bowl and toss with cinnamon, clove, and 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside
- butter the bottom and sides of a 9x13 glass casserole pan
- melt 1 cup of butter and set aside for brushing the phyllo dough
- place two sheets of phyllo dough on the bottom of the pan, brush with melted butter and cover with two sheets of phyllo dough. Repeat this until you have 6-8 sheets stacked and buttered.
- cover top sheet with 3 tablespoons of nut mixture, then cover with two more sheets of phyllo dough. Repeat nut layers alternating with two layers of phyllo buttered and 3 tablespoons of nut mixture until nuts are gone.
- End by layering the remaining dough two sheets at a time until you have a top layer about 6-8 sheets high. Cover the top layer with butter.
- Trim the sides of the dough and then cut diagonal slices all the way to the bottom of the pan. Baklava is usually served in diamond shaped pieces.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 50 minutes to an hour or until golden
- In the meantime make the syrup that you will pour over the pan once it's out of the oven.
- Place 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water into a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Add 1/2 cup honey and 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit.
- Pour over Baklava immediately after you remove it from the oven. Let cool and enjoy!!!