Jo Anne Sugimoto
- 2 c
- 2 c
- 3 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 3-inch cinnamon stick
- whole cloves
- 1/2 c
- 4 c
- finely chopped nuts of any combination
- 2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 lb
- 1 pkg
- 16 oz. frozen filo leaves, thawed
How to Make BAKLAVA
- 1PREPARE THE HONEY SYRUP, FIRST.
- 2HONEY SYRUP:
- 3In a medium saucepan heat all ingredients except for the honey, stirring until the sugar crystals are dissolved. Boil for 5 minutes or to 220 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- 4Remove from heat and discard the cinnamon stick and cloves. Stir in the honey, and set aside to cool.
- 5MIX THE NUTS AND SPICES TOGETHER.
- 6CLARIFY THE BUTTER:
- 7Clarify the butter by melting it slowly over low heat, skimming off the form as it rises to the surface. Remove from heat, let stand for 2 to 3 minutes, then spoon off the clear butter and discard the milky liquid that is on the bottom of the pan.
- 8Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brush the bottom and sides of the jelly roll pan with a little of the clarified butter.
- 9PREPARE THE FILO LEAVES:
- 10Unfold the filo leaves and cover completely with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out.
- 11Gently separate one leaf and place it on the pan, folding the edges over to make it fit in the pan if necessary.
- 12Brush lightly with the butter, repeat 9 times more.
- 13Sprinkle 2 cups of the nut mixture evenly over top.
- 14Layer 10 more filo leaves into the pan, brushing the butter on each leaf, sprinkling remaining nut mixture over the top.
- 15Layer the remaining 10 filo leaves over the nuts and buttering each leaf as before.
- 16With a sharp knife, cut the pastry in the pan, 1/2 inch deep into 6 lengthwise strips about 1 3/4 inches wide. Make diagonal cuts across strips 1/2 inch deep and 2 inches wide.
- 17Pour remaining butter over the top.
- 18Bake until golden brown, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Remove the pan onto a wire rack, pour cooled honey syrup over the top. Let cool. Cut to the bottom along the scored lines.