Blue Ribbon Recipe
Oh how I love beignets. I have eaten many, but this was the first I have ever made. I can see lots of these in my future! This recipe was relatively easy to make and it is really good. The Test Kitchen
How to Make Authentic Beignets
- 1In a large mixing bowl pour the boiling water over the shortening, sugar and salt. Add the milk and let it stand until warm.
- 2In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm water and add to the milk mixture with the egg. Stir in two cups flour and beat.
- 3Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning it to grease the top. Cover with wax paper and chill in refrigerator until ready to use.
- 4On a slightly floured surface roll the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into 2 inch squares and fry in hot oil (350 degrees). Brown on one side then flip and brown on the other side
- 5Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve hot. This recipe will make about 2 dozen beignets.