Apple Dumplings with Red Hots Cinnamon Sauce
6 mediumapples, golden delicious
1 1/2 csugar
1/2 cbrown sugar
1/2 stickbutter, cold
·your favorite pie crust recipe
1 cred hot cinnamon candies
2 1/4 cwater
How to Make Apple Dumplings with Red Hots Cinnamon Sauce
- Peel and hollow out the apples saving the peels in a saucepan with about 2 cups of water
- Mix cinnamon and sugar. This is for filling apples and sauce
- Roll out enough dough to cover 1 apple. Set apple in the center of the dough.
- Place a pat of butter in the apple cavity, top with cinnamon sugar, brown sugar and another pat of butter
- Pull opposite sides of dough up around apple twice to cover apple. Place in pan. Repeat steps 3,4,5 for all apples
- Bake 350 degrees for about an hour until crust is light brown and flaky.
- While apples are baking prepare the sauce:
Boil peels until they are mushy, then discard peels
- To the boiling water add 1 cup cinnamon sugar, nutmeg, 2 Tbsp butter, 1/2 bag of red hots. Simmer until candies are melted
- In a small container combine 1/4 cup water and 1 Tbsp cornstarch. Stir completely.
- Add cornstarch mixture SLOWLY to syrup mixture to thicken. You may not need it all.
- When apples are brown and flaky, ladle sauce over apples. Any leftover sauce is great on ice cream, waffles etc.
- Bake another 10 minutes. Serve with ice cream