Apple Dumplings with Red Hots Cinnamon Sauce
- 6 medium
- apples, golden delicious
- 1 1/2 c
- 4 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- brown sugar
- 1/2 stick
- butter, cold
- your favorite pie crust recipe
- 1 c
- red hot cinnamon candies
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- 2 1/4 c
How to Make Apple Dumplings with Red Hots Cinnamon Sauce
- 1Peel and hollow out the apples saving the peels in a saucepan with about 2 cups of water
- 2Mix cinnamon and sugar. This is for filling apples and sauce
- 3Roll out enough dough to cover 1 apple. Set apple in the center of the dough.
- 4Place a pat of butter in the apple cavity, top with cinnamon sugar, brown sugar and another pat of butter
- 5Pull opposite sides of dough up around apple twice to cover apple. Place in pan. Repeat steps 3,4,5 for all apples
- 6Bake 350 degrees for about an hour until crust is light brown and flaky.
- 7While apples are baking prepare the sauce:
Boil peels until they are mushy, then discard peels
- 8To the boiling water add 1 cup cinnamon sugar, nutmeg, 2 Tbsp butter, 1/2 bag of red hots. Simmer until candies are melted
- 9In a small container combine 1/4 cup water and 1 Tbsp cornstarch. Stir completely.
- 10Add cornstarch mixture SLOWLY to syrup mixture to thicken. You may not need it all.
- 11When apples are brown and flaky, ladle sauce over apples. Any leftover sauce is great on ice cream, waffles etc.
- 12Bake another 10 minutes. Serve with ice cream