Mildred's Lemon Tart Ice Cream
To be used in a 4 quart ice cream maker.
- 5 c
- whole milk
- 3 c
- 1/4 tsp
- eggs, beaten
- 4 1/2 c
- heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp
- lemon extract
- zest from one lemon
- vanilla beans (tahitian works best), scraped
- 2 pkg
- graham crackers (approx. 20 wafers)
How to Make Mildred's Lemon Tart Ice Cream
- 1Scrape out two vanilla beans for the "caviar" and zest one lemon.
- 2In heavy saucepan, combine milk, sugar, vanilla bean caviar, and salt. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until mixture is steaming. Reduce heat to low.
- 3In a separate bowl, slightly beat eggs. Slowly whisk half of the hot mixture into the eggs and pour back into the saucepan.
- 4Cook over medium-low heat until slightly thick, about 3 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest and refrigerate until chilled or overnight.
- 6When ready to make ice cream stir heavy cream, lemon juice, and lemon extract into chilled custard mixture.
- 7Crush about 20 graham crackers and add to mixture.
- 8Pour into frozen ice cream canister and follow instructions.