Mildred's Lemon Tart Ice Cream
To be used in a 4 quart ice cream maker.
5 cwhole milk
4 1/2 cheavy cream
3 Tbsplemon extract
·zest from one lemon
2vanilla beans (tahitian works best), scraped
2 pkggraham crackers (approx. 20 wafers)
How to Make Mildred's Lemon Tart Ice Cream
- Scrape out two vanilla beans for the "caviar" and zest one lemon.
- In heavy saucepan, combine milk, sugar, vanilla bean caviar, and salt. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until mixture is steaming. Reduce heat to low.
- In a separate bowl, slightly beat eggs. Slowly whisk half of the hot mixture into the eggs and pour back into the saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat until slightly thick, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest and refrigerate until chilled or overnight.
- When ready to make ice cream stir heavy cream, lemon juice, and lemon extract into chilled custard mixture.
- Crush about 20 graham crackers and add to mixture.
- Pour into frozen ice cream canister and follow instructions.