Horchata Ice Cream
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 qt2% milk
1/4 cnonfat milk powder
4large egg yolks
1/2 cbrown sugar, packed
2 cheavy cream
1 cpecan halves, toasted & roughly chopped
How to Make Horchata Ice Cream
- Pour the nonfat milk into a heavy saucepan. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and, using the tip of a paring knife, scrape the black seeds into the milk. Add the bean and the canela and bring to a simmer and cook about 15 minutes. Let cool then strain into a bowl; should have have about 2 1/2 cups of liquid.
- Combine the rice and nonfat dry milk in a blender. Process until the rice is finely ground and stir into the milk.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and both sugars in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Bring the cream to a near boil in a small saucepan. Whisking gently, pour the cream slowly into the egg mixture so that it doesn't curdle. Then, add the reserved milk mixture. Whisk well. Let cook for a moment, then remove from flame.
- Let the mixture cool, then refrigerate completely.
- Pour the well-chilled custard mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Just before the ice cream is frozen, add the toasted pecans. Store in the freezer.