HOMEMADE ICE CREAM
About $50 bucks before tax.
Note to Diabetics: You can use Splenda or your sweetner of choice. But, just think how great it will be to eat sugar free ice cream, yogurt and sorbet without that nasty SORBITAL in the mix!!!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream (whipping )
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup your choice nuts, candy, peanut butter, thawed from frozen fruit. if you want to use fresh fruit, cook in a little water and ad a little sugar to sweeten. let cool in fridge until chilled.
How to Make HOMEMADE ICE CREAM
- 11.Always store the "drum" in your freezer on a level surface so it will always be frozen and ready to go when you want it. I put the paddle right in the drum and store them both together. The secret to hard ice cream is that all the ingredients are really cold. Not frozen...cold.
2. In bowl, mix all ingredients EXCEPT added ingredients. Store this mix in the fridge for 3 hours or over night to get real cold. I make two bowls up for a double batch. The drum only makes 1 1/2 quart at a time which is enough for a family of 4 but I need more for guests.
3. To make the ice cream, take the drum and paddle out of freezer. Put ice cream maker together. Start it up. Pour your refrigerated mixture in the top of the moving drum. Time for 15 minutes. Just before the 15 minutes is up, while drum is STILL MOVING, pour your added ingredients in slowly. Time for 5 minutes more. When finished, empty ice cream in lidded container. Freeze for a couple hours. It will already be almost hard, but this will do it for sure. I use a container larger enough for my double batch.
NOTE: 1 tablespoon of flavoring like Peppermint, orange, pineapple, etc. should be added when you add the vanilla. Just think of Butter Pecan flavoring with added pecans!!!
NOTE: I just made this recipe with 1 Tablespoon peppermint flavoring and crushed Andee's Mints. OMG! Crushed peppermint candy canes would work, too! My husband can't wait until I make blueberry ice cream....his favorite and where do you find THAT in a store?!?