Deep-Fried Ice Cream (El Torito's)
This recipe is from a book titled "Top Secret Recipes".
- 20 oz
- chocolate chip ice cream
- 2 c
- 4-grain flake cereal, crushed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- 3 1/2 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp
- (8 inch) flour tortillas
- oil for deep-frying
- cinnamon mixed with sugar
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherries
How to Make Deep-Fried Ice Cream (El Torito's)
- 1Form ice cream into 4 balls. Place in baking pan and
freeze solid, 2 hours or longer.
- 2Mix cereal, sugar and
cinnamon. Divide equally between 2 pie plates or other
shallow containers. Beat eggs with water.
- 3Roll each ice cream ball in cereal mixture and press
coating into ice cream. Dip coated ball in egg wash,
then roll in second container of cereal mixture. Again
press coating onto ice cream. Freeze coated ice
cream balls solid, 4 to 6 hours.
- 4Shape each tortilla into hourglass form (with narrow
waist) by cutting off curved slice from 2 opposite
sides. One end will serve as base for ice cream. Other
end will be decorative fan.
- 5Heat oil in wok or large deep?fryer. Place tortilla
between 2 ladles or large spoons of different sizes
(smaller ladle on top). Place tortilla so that base end is
cupped in larger ladle to form basket, with back of
upper fan supported by handle of larger ladle.
Deep?fry until crisp. Drain and sprinkle with
cinnamon?sugar. Set aside.
- 6Deep?fry frozen coated ice cream balls 30 to 45
seconds. Place each fried tortilla in large?stemmed
glass, with fan part of tortilla standing vertically above
glass. Set fried ice cream ball in base of tortilla. Top
with dollop of whipped cream and decorate with cherry.