Coffee Ice Cream
How to Make Coffee Ice Cream
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, combine milk, cream, and ground coffee and bring almost to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand for five minutes for coffee to infuse, then strain through a cheesecloth.
- Put the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk together until the mixture is pale and your fork leaves a trail in the mixture.
- Slowly add the milk mixture to the egg mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Strain the mixture into a pan and cook over low heat for fifteen minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Be careful not to let the mixture boil, else it will curdle.
- Freeze the custard uncovered about two hours, then remove from freezer and beat with a hand mixer or food processor until smooth. Return to freezer and freeze until set.