★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- water, preferably spring water
- 1/2 tsp
- 3 pt
- (about 2 pounds or 6 cups) fresh-picked blueberries, preferably organic, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/4 c
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large
- egg white, preferably farm-fresh (optional) note: the optional egg white helps to stabilize, emulsify, and preserve the texture of the sorbet if you are going to keep it in your freezer for a few days. also optional is straining.
How to Make Blueberry Sorbet
- 1In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, water, and salt. Cook, stirring, until the sugar and salt have dissolved, about 3 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes
- 2In a blender, purée the blueberries with the syrup and lemon juice until very smooth (you may need to divide this into several batches if your blender is not extra-large). If desired, strain through a fine-mesh sieve for a smoother texture. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 3Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Add the egg white, if using, during the last 2 to 3 minutes of churning. If making the 4th Of July Ice Cream Cake , immediately pack into the pan. Or store, tightly covered, in the freezer.
- 4Variation: Blueberry-pomegranate sorbet:
Replace 1/4 cup of the water with pure pomegranate juice (I recommend either Pom Wonderful or Knudsen's 100% Pomegranate Juice).