Toffee Banana Crumbles
- 8 firm bananas
- 1/4 cup light soft brown sugar
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- chilled heavy cream or sour cream to serve
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- a cast iron skillet
- 4 individual heatproof chef’s rings each about 3 inches in diameter
FOR COCONUT TOPPING:
How to Make Toffee Banana Crumbles
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
Trim and cut bananas into 1 1/4 inch lengths. Reserve four of the lengths for the centers of the crumbles, then slice each of the remaining ones in half lengthwise.
- 2Sprinkle brown sugar into a skillet, then put the chef’s rings into the sugar. Pack each ring with an upright banana. Next, tightly surround this with the split bananas to resemble the petals of a flour and pour the lemon juice over the top.
- 3To make the topping, put the flour, coconut and butter in food processor and process til it resemble coarse bread crumbs. Alternatively you can rub in by hand. Tip into a bowl and stir in the sugar
Fill each ring to the top with the coconut topping. transfer the skillet to preheated oven and bake for about 25 minutes, til crumbles are golden. Remove form oven and slip a fish slice under each ring to lift them out of the pan and onto warmed serving plates.
- 4Carefully remove the rings and serve with pan juices spooned around the crumbles and cream.