THE ULTIMATE APPLE DUMPLING
- granny smith apples -- or one apple per person, medium size apples, peeled and cored
- pie dough, your own recipe or store bought
- (a package of 2 pie crusts makes 4 dumplings)
- cup sugar
- 1 1/2
- teaspoons cinnamon
- teaspoon butter
- cup sugar
- cups water
- tablespoons butter
- teaspoon cinnamon
How to Make THE ULTIMATE APPLE DUMPLING
- 1PREPARE APPLES: Peel and core 4 medium Granny Smith apples. I do this by hand with a sharp paring knife by making a hole in the center of the apple and removing the seeds. Set aside.
- 2Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. You will need a buttered. 8 inch glass baking dish.
- 3MAKE THE SYRUP:
In a small sauce pan, combine sugar, water, butter and cinnamon, and heat to boiling, then simmer for 10 minutes on very low heat. Meanwhile,
- 4MAKE THE FILLING:
Combine 1/2 cup of sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- 5ROLL THE DOUGH:
It will take 2 pie crusts for four dumplings. I roll the dough a little thinner than the crust. Make a square of dough, place the apple in the center of it so that when you bring up two corners of the square, the ends touch. Cut away any excess dough. Fill the center of the apple while it is on the dough with 2 teaspoons of the sugar filling. Top with one teaspoon of butter, bring two ends up around the apple and pinch to close, then bring the other two ends up and pinch to close, pinch the sides and seal so there is no crack anyplace. It should look like my photo of apple dumplings. You may have to "patch" the dough when you roll it for the second dumpling, but as long as it is sealed, that is okay. Finish sealing all the apples in the dough.
- 6Place the apple dumplings in the dish, don't let the sides touch, about 1/2 inch apart. Pour the syrup carefully AROUND not OVER the apple dumplings.
- 7Bake in the 400 degree oven for 1 hour until dumplings are lightly browned. Serve in a shallow dish with a couple spoons of the syrup around the bottom of the apple, and a big dollop of whipped cream or lite cool whip! Enjoy!