By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
4 largered apples
2drops red food coloring
1/2lemon, thinly sliced
1/2orange, thinly sliced
1 ptvanilla ice cream
2unsweetened chocolate squares
2 Tbspapple brandy or creme de cacao
How to Make Sundae Apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and core apples, but DO NOT PEEL.
- Cut apple 1/3-1/2 of the way from top to bottom in 6 or 8 sections, depending on size of apple.
- Place in shallow, ungreased baking pan.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together in small saucepan; add water, lemon and orange slices, and bring to a boil.
- Boil 7 minutes or until syrup is thickened.
- Discard lemon and orange slices.
- Pour this syrup over the apples and bake for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Baste apples frequently during baking with syrup from the pan.
- They should be nicely glazed when done.
- To serve warm, let apples stand 10-15 minutes before continuing.
- Also good served cold.
- Place apple in glass dessert bowl, opening the apple sections so they spread (like flower petals) to fit the bowl.
- Cut sections deeper if needed to open it more easily.
- Fill center of apple with scoop of ice cream.
- Drizzle the chocolate liqueur sauce over all, and garnish with chopped walnuts.
- Serve immediately.
- CHOCOLATE LIQUEUR SAUCE: Melt butter and chocolate in saucepan over low heat.
- Add sugar and water.
- Cook until sauce is thickened a bit, stirring frequently.
- Add liqueur and remove from heat.