Daily Inspiration S
Recipe is from my "New Dieters" cookbook -- 206 calories per serving. : )
- 3 c
- sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 2/3 c
- all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/4 tsp
- baking soda
- 3 Tbsp
- margarine or butter
- beaten egg
- 1/2 c
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 c
- frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed or 1.3 ounce envelope whipped dessert topping mix
- fresh strawberry fans (optional)
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
- 1Combine sliced strawberries and the 2 tbsp. sugar. Cover and let sit in refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- 2In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, 1 tbsp. sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and buttermilk. Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring until combined.
- 3Drop dough from a tablespoon onto an ungreased baking sheet, making 8 mounds.
- 4Bake in a 450 degree oven for 7 - 8 minutes or until golden. Trasfer shortcakes to a wire rack and cool about 10 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, if using topping mix, prepare according to package directions using skim milk. To serve, cut shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon half of the strawberries and one-fourth of the whipped topping over bottom layers. Replace tops. Spoon remaining strawberries and topping onto each shortcake (or spoon strawberries around shortcake). If desired, garnish with a strawberry fan.