Strawberry Long Cake, A 1950's Recipe
Since we raised acres of strawberries on the farm Mom always had a supply of fresh or frozen berries and was looking for new ways to use them. This became a year round favorite with the frozen berries.
- 2 c
- 4 tsp
- baking powder
- 6 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 c
- softened butter
- 2/3 c
- 4 c
- mashed, strawberries (if using frozen berries, thaw berries first)
- 2 Tbsp
- powdered sugar (to dust top of cake)
How to Make Strawberry Long Cake, A 1950's Recipe
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sweeten berries with sugar to your liking. Set aside.
- 2Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, butter, egg, and milk to make a biscuit like dough. Spread dough into a greased 9 by 13 inch pan, or similar sized casserole dish, covering the entire bottom of the pan.
- 3Pour strawberries (liquid and all) over top of dough. Do NOT stir. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until a knife stuck in center of cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and sprinkle top with powdered sugar. Serve warm with ice cream. Serves 6.