These delicious little tarts are another one of my family favorite traditional recipes that was passed down to me, in which I decided to put a different twist by using fresh strawberry filling to celebrate the wonderful seasons of Spring and Summer!
1STEP 1 - To make pastry:
1. In food processor, add flour, sugar, salt, whole almonds and baking powder. Pulse until mixed and nuts ground, then add in butter and shortening, and pulse until mixture is crumbly.
2. Add in egg, milk, and vanilla, mix until dough starts to form a ball.
3. Turn out dough onto floured surface, and lightly work dough until smooth.
4. Divide dough into two round pieces, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
2STEP 2 – To make filling:
1. In food processor, add 8 ounces fresh strawberries with 2 tablespoons whole almonds, and process until strawberries are smooth and almonds ground.
2. In heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch, add in strawberry almond puree, almond extract, and egg yolks, whisking constantly over medium heat, until mixture is very thick, approximately 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, gradually add in butter, one piece at a time, whisking constantly, until butter is completely melted, and mixture thick.
4. Cool mixture slightly, cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
3STEP 3 -To Assemble:
1 .Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2 .Unwrap the first piece of dough, and roll out onto floured surface to approximately l ¼ inch thickness.
3. Using a 5 inch (scalloped edge or smooth) round cookie cutter, cut out 6 rounds; repeat with the second piece of dough, and cut out 6 additional rounds.
4. Spray 6 (5 inch) foil tart pans with baking spray, and press lightly 1 round into bottom of each pan.
5. Spoon approximately 3-4 tablespoons of filling on top of each round, and cover each with additional round, pressing dough lightly together to seal. Brush tops with reserved egg whites.
6.Bake for approximately 18 minutes, until tops are golden, cool.
4STEP 4 - To make strawberry almond drizzle:
1.In food processor, pulse 4 strawberries and ½ teaspoon almond extract until smooth.
2. Whip heavy cream very lightly to a thinner consistency, ( do not whip until stiff peaks form).
3. Stir in strawberry almond puree and drizzle over cooled tarts.
4. Garnish with fresh strawberries and chopped almonds, if desired.