Seattle Blueberry Shortcake
2 call-purpose flour
1/4 cgranulated sugar
3 tspbaking powder
1/2 cbutter or margarine
1 tspgrated lemon rind
1 cfresh or frozen blueberries
3to 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
·whipped cream or yogurt(optional)
How to Make Seattle Blueberry Shortcake
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into mixture until resembles coarse meal.
- Combine milk, egg yolks, and lemon rind in a small bowl. Stir mixture with a fork into dry ingredients until a soft dough forms.
- Pat half of dough evenly into a greased 9-inch cake pan. Sprinkle with blueberries and 1 T of the sugar. Dot the remaining dough over the blueberries.
- Brush the surface of the dough with egg white. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar (3 T).
- Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees until golden brown or tested done. Serve warm with whipped cream or plain yogurt. Sprinkle with additional blueberries if you prefer.