Rhubarb Strawberry Crunch
CRUST AND TOPPING:
1 cupdark brown sugar (packed)
2 cupsold fashioned rolled oats (uncooked)
1 cupbutter, softened
6 cupsthinly sliced fresh rhubarb
1 cupgranulated sugar
1 cupcold water
1 tsp.vanilla extract
1 (3-oz.)pkg. strawberry gelatin
Garnish:cool whip whipped topping or vanilla ice cream (opt.)
How to Make Rhubarb Strawberry Crunch
- In a large bowl mix together, the flour, brown sugar, and rolled oats.
- Cut in the butter; mix well, and until it becomes crumbly.
- Pat half of the crumb mixture in the bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. (I used an aluminum baking pan.)
- Save half of the remaining crust mixture to use as a topping.
- Spoon the sliced rhubarb evenly over the crumbled crust.
- Mix the sugar and cornstarch together in a saucepan.
- Add the water, cook and stir continuously over medium heat, until it comes to a boil.
- Boil until it looks clear and thickened, in about 5 minutes. (It may not even take five minutes for it to become clear and thicken.)
- Add the vanilla extract and the strawberry gelatin powder; cook and stir for 1 minute more, and then spoon the syrupy mixture over the rhubarb.
- Top with the remaining crumbled/crust/mixture.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, until the crumb mixture has browned slightly on top.
- Serve warm, or if desired, with Cool Whip or vanilla ice cream.
- I refrigerate leftovers (uncovered) in the fridge.