Rhubarb and Strawberry Cobbler
With rhubarb season at its peak here in the Midwest I got the urge for this dessert.
A marriage of sweetness and tartness.
I'm going to be grumpy and not a happy camper, until I get my oven back.
Maybe it is time to retire my 24 year old range. Convection and stainless piques my interest. Hmm....
Natural Gas of course. Electric and I don't work well together.
4 to 5 cfresh rhubarb cut into 1 lengths
10 ozfrozen strawberries
1/2 tspoil to grease dish
SWEET BISCUIT MIX
2 1/2 cbiscuit mix (jiffy or biscuick)
1/4 stickbutter (additional)
How to Make Rhubarb and Strawberry Cobbler
- With a sharp paring knife and thumb I pull off the tougher outer portion of the rhubarb and cut into 1" pieces. Rinse and place in bowl with the 2/3 cup of sugar, the salt, butter, and cinnamon. stir and mix slightly. Then sprinkle on the 1/4 cup of flour used as a thickener.
- Add the 10 oz. of thawed frozen strawberries and lightly stir again. You could use fresh strawberries if you add sugar to them and place in fridge a day ahead of time.
- Place Rhubarb/Strawberry mixture in Baking dish and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. We'll put the biscuit mix on top after this initial bake time.
- For the Biscuit Mix: Prepare per package instructions with the addition of sugar, or as I did. In bowl add 2 1/2 cups biscuit mix. 3 tablespoon of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 stick butter and stir and mix these dry ingredients. When mixed add the 1/2 cup milk and mix to a biscuit consistency. Don't over mix.
- After 45 to 50 minutes remove rhubarb from oven and spoon the biscuit mix on top. return to oven for 18 to 22 minutes. You can sprinkle a little sugar and cinnamon on top, as well as a little melted butter.
- Serve slightly warm with ice cream or whipped topping.