Pear Tart with Cornmeal Crust
1/2 cfine cornmeal
1/2 cwhole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cslivered almonds
2 Tbspdate sugar
1/4 tspsea salt
4 Tbspcold butter, unsalted
1/4 ccold non fat milk
4ripe organic pears
2 Tbsplow fat milk
1 Tbspunsalted butter, melted
1 tspvanilla extract
1/4 tspground nutmeg
3 Tbspall purpose flour
1/4 capricot jam, heated
How to Make Pear Tart with Cornmeal Crust
- FOR THE CRUST:
- In a food processor, combine the cornmeal, flour, date sugar and salt and process until fine crumbs form.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles small peas. Add milk and process just until a dough ball forms.
- Press into a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
Refrigerate until set.
- FOR THE FILLING:
- Preheat oven to 425'F
- Peel, halve and core the pears. Place pears cut side down on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife score the pears horizontally across each pear 1/8 inch deep and 1/4 inch apart. Do not cut right through the pear. Arrange 7 pear halves on the prepared crust with the narrow end pointing toward the center.
- Cut a circle from the remaining pear half and place in the pie's center (eat any left over pear)
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs until pale and thickened, about 6-8 minutes. Add the honey, milk, melted butter, vanilla, nutmeg and flour. Blend well.
- Pour the mixture over the pears.
Bake 10-15 minutes, then reduce heat to 400'F and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until set and golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack.
- Heat the apricot jam up and melt, brush over the tart. Cool completely before removing and slicing.