8peaches, peeled and sliced (6-8 cups)
3/4 csugar, plus more for dusting
2 Tbspcorn starch
1 tspcinnamon, ground
1 1/2 call purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspkosher salt
16 Tbspunsalted butter, cold
3/4 cheavy cream, plus more for brushing
How to Make Peach Cobbler
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl add the peaches, bourbon, 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon and mix well to coat the peaches evenly; set aside.
- Prepare the dumplings:
Into a bowl sift together the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter into small pieces. Add it to the flour mixture and cut it in with a pastry blender or your hands until the mixture looks like coarse bread crumbs.
- Pour in the cream and mix just until the dough comes together. Don’t overwork; the dough should be slightly sticky but manageable.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Add the peaches and cook gently until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls over the warm peaches. There can be gaps, the dough will puff up and spread out as it bakes.
- Brush the top with some heavy cream and sprinkle with some sugar; put it into the oven on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Cook for 40 to 45 minutes until the top is browned and the fruit is bubbling.