Patriotic Berry Trifle
- 1/4 + 2/3 c
- 1/4 c
- fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp
- almond extract
- premade angel food cake, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 lb
- cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 c
- heavy cream, at room temperature
- 2 pt
- blueberries, fresh
- 2 pt
- strawberries, hulled and sliced
How to Make Patriotic Berry Trifle
- 1Heat 1/4 cup sugar, the lemon juice and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and stir in the almond extract.
- 2Brush both sides of each slice of cake with the syrup. Cut the slices into 1-inch cubes.
- 3Beat the remaining 2/3 cup sugar and the cream cheese with a mixer on medium speed until smooth and light. Add the cream and beat on medium-high speed until smooth and the consistency of whipped cream.
- 4Note: I used frozen blueberries for the inside of the trifle, as they are not as tart as the 'fresh' ones I can get in Oklahoma. I did use 'fresh' ones for the top, though.