Pastel Lemon Bars
Other curds may be used to make this dessert- such as cranberry, or blueberry or lemon or raspberry or peach....
- 1/2 c
- butter,room temperature
- 1/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 pinch
- 10 to 12 oz
- pkg. frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1/3 c
- corn starch or 2/3 c. flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- lemon zest
- 1 pinch
- 3 large
- egg whites plus
- 1 large
- 2/3 c
- fresh lemon juice
- powdered sugar
How to Make Pastel Lemon Bars
- 1Preheat oven to 350^. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper or foil- leaving it hang over the ends to lift out bars later.
In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar on medium until light and smooth. Add salt and flour on low speed until blended.
Press dough into bottom of prepared pan evenly to form a crust.
Bake about 25 minutes, or until set and golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- 3Filling: Place berries in blender and pulse until well blended. Or you can--
Place berries in a fine sieve and use the back of a wooden spoon to mash and press them through the sieve into a small bowl,if you wish.(I prefer the blender).
- 4Whisk the sugar,corn starch, lemon zest and salt together in a large bowl. Add the egg whites and the whole egg and whisk until combined. Pour in the lemon juice and strawberry puree and whisk until smooth.
- 5Pour the filling over the crust.
Bake for about 35 minutes or until just barely set- the center should not jiggle when shaken. Remove to wire rack to cool completely; then cover and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to serve ;lift out and cut into desired pieces and dust with powdered sugar if desired..