Olga’s Apple Kuchen
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 4 tbsp. (½ stick) cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- peeled and sliced apples**
How to Make Olga’s Apple Kuchen
- 1Liberally butter a 9” x 13” baking pan, an extra large deep dish pie dish, or two round 8” cake pans.
- 2Preheat oven to 425º F.
- 3*Beat together in a measuring cup, the egg, ½ tsp. vanilla and just enough milk to make ½ cup.
- 4In the bowl of a food processor, add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Pulse a few times to incorporate. Then add 4 Tbsp. cold, cubed butter.
- 5Pulse the food processor to cut in the butter into the dry ingredients like you would do for pastry. When you can drag a fork through without picking up any large lumps - then you are good to go.
- 6Pour wet ingredients into the dry, use the continuous speed to mix everything together which should only take 15 seconds or less.
- 7Turn out the dough into the middle of the buttered baking pan. Flour your hands and gently press the dough evenly to the edges.
- 8**Peel and slice apples – the exact number of apples will depend on variety and size. But enough to evenly cover the dough.
- 9Evenly layer apples, matching the curve to cover the entire pan.
- 10Melt 3 Tbsp. butter and add 1 cup sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon. Stir with fork to thoroughly mix. Sprinkle over the apples and bake 25 – 25 minutes.
- 11NOTE: For very juicy fruits like plums and peaches, I usually need to cook 5-10 minutes longer.
- 12Fruits I have used for this cake: apple (Jonathon, Gala, Granny Smith),plums, peaches, pears, blueberries, mango, this is a versatile recipe. Except for berries and plums, I peel, slice and arrange the fruits slightly overlapping each other and allowing no gaps from row to row.