Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
I've prepared this recipe with Gala, Fuji and Honey Crisp apples. I use really large apples - about 4 pounds in all. (Oct-2016: Jona Gold & Mutsu are really good, too!)
This recipe was adapted from the one in a Betty Crocker cookbook (the big one with the ring binding that is usually a gift to aspiring cooks... You know the one.)
4-5 largeapples, peeled, cored, sliced thin-ish
1 calmond meal (ground almonds)
1/2 call purpose flour
2 cdark brown sugar
1 cbutter, salted, melted
2 coats, old fashioned style
2 tspground cinnamon
1 tspground ginger *optional
How to Make Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
- Peel, core and chop apples. Place them in a 13X9X2 inch baking pan.
Note: If you like the finished product to be less "juicy" - toss the apples in a little flour (and I will add a little cinnamon, too) to keep the liquids thick and not soupy.
- In a large mixing bowl, place all dry ingredients (brown sugar, oats, flour, cinnamon and almond meal) and mix thoroughly.
Note: If using unsalted butter, I like to add a little sea salt to the crumble topping.
- Add the melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly with your hands. (Really smoosh it all together.)
- Sprinkle the topping all over the top of the apples and coat evenly.
- Bake crisp on center oven rack at 350F for 40-45 minutes. Apples should be bubbling and topping should be a deep golden color.