Mini Apple & Oat Strudels
Cooking Video link: youtu.be/FjoRiIHYxd8
Bob's Red Mill Cookoff Video link: youtu.be/qAb8NgwFF3k
Scotland Cookoff Video Link: youtu.be/QMUGfhxuz7Q
Blue Ribbon Recipe
The different textures in this recipe are wonderful. These have a light, sweet taste. Perfect alongside your morning coffee or with afternoon tea. The Test Kitchen
1 1/2 qtpeanut oil for frying
1 csteel cut oats
1 cunsweetened coconut milk
2 largegranny smith apples
1/4 tspapple pie spice
3/4 clight brown sugar
2 Tbsppure maple syrup
1/4 tspsea salt
1/2 cwalnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cgolden raisins
12egg roll wraps
1/4 cpowdered sugar
How to Make Mini Apple & Oat Strudels
- Soak oats in coconut milk and water in refrigerator overnight. Heat peanut oil in wok or large pot to 350 degrees, using a thermometer. Peel, core and chop apples into 1/2 inch pieces and place in small bowl; sprinkle with the juice of the lemon and stir to coat.
- In a 2 quart saucepan on high heat, combine soaked oats, apples with lemon juice, spices, brown sugar and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, stirring, add salt and reduce heat to medium. Cook 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Add walnuts and raisins; stir well and continue to cook, covered, on medium heat 5-10 more minutes, stirring occasionally. When apples are tender and oats are cooked, transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- With a corner of an eggroll wrapper pointed towards you, place 2 Tablespoons of filling in the middle and spread from side to side, leaving 1 inch on each side. Pull up bottom corner and snuggly cover filling. Bring each side corner over, and pat edges of remaining top corner with water. Roll to seal, making sure the end is tucked under. Repeat for remaining egg rolls.
- Cook 3 at a time in heated oil for 1 minute on each side, or until golden and crispy. Drain well on paper towels. Repeat with remaining egg rolls. When ready to serve, cut each diagonally and stand one up; Sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar. Serve warm.