Mardi Gras Gorilla Bread
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is a really cute idea for a simple King Cake. The addition of strawberries and cream cheese brings this gorilla bread to a whole new level. The flavor combination is fabulous. Great for a Mardi Gras party! The Test Kitchen
1 1/2 stickbutter
1 1/2 cpacked brown sugar
1 ptfresh strawberries, hulled and halved
1 pkg(8 oz) cream cheese
2 can(s)(10 count) Grand's buttermilk biscuits
1 1/2 ccoarsley chopped walnuts or pecans
How to Make Mardi Gras Gorilla Bread
- PLEASE READ THROUGH THE ENTIRE RECIPE BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over low heat, stirring well; set aside.
- Cut each cream cheese block into 20 equal cubes.
- Press the biscuits out with your fingers, cut in halves; sprinkle each with 1/3 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar. Place a cube of cream cheese in the center of half of the biscuits, wrapping and sealing the dough around the cream cheese. Roll into a ball. Place half a strawberry in the center of the other half of the biscuits, wrapping and sealing the dough around the strawberries. Roll into a ball.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the nuts into the bottom of the bundt pan. Pour 1/3 of melted butter mixture over the nuts. Place half of the prepared biscuits in the pan. You can mix the cream cheese balls with the strawberry balls or have one layer of the cream cheese balls and then the other layer with the strawberry balls. It’s your call.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, pour 1/3 of the melted butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle on 1/3 of nuts.
- Layer the remaining biscuits on top, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar, pour the remaining butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 of nuts.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- Place a plate on top and invert.
Decorate the top with colored sugars (green, gold, purple), in alternating sections, about 2 inches each.
- Don’t forget to hide the plastic baby charm inside one of the dough balls, but warn everyone to look for it!