Lemon Bars from the Fat Witch Bakery
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, not yet to room temperature, cut into pieces, one stick
- three large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice from 2 to 3 lemons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh, finely grated lemon zest, from 1 to 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- a big pinch of salt.
How to Make Lemon Bars from the Fat Witch Bakery
- 1Grease a 9 x 9" baking pan with butter. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. Preheat the oven to 350°.
To make the crust, sift the flour, powdered sugar, and salt into a bowl. Add the butter and mix into the flour, first with a fork and then finishing with your fingertips.
- 2Pat the mixture evenly into prepared baking pan and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Allow the crust cool while you make the filling.
- 3To make the filling, beat the eggs until frothy. Slowly add the sugar, until just combined. Beat in the lemon juice and zest and combine well.
- 4Mix the flour and salt and then sift together directly into the filling mixture. Mix gently until they are incorporated into lemon mixture. Pour the filling over the baked crust and bake 15 minutes or until the top is set. It should have tiny bubbles on the surface and the edges should be Brown and slightly pulling away from sides.
Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for one hour.