Lemon & Almond Slices
To make the lemon topping you’ll need to use a brand of coconut milk that doesn’t contain emulsifiers (guar gum, carrageenan, methyl cellulose, corn starch, sodium or potassium metabisulfate) as these are chemical additives which cause the fatty and watery layers to stop separating from one another, so you won’t be able to achieve the thick creamy consistency required.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
175 gground almonds
2 Tbspcoconut sugar
3 Tbspcoconut oil
1 tspmaple syrup
250 gcoconut cream (the hardened cream from the top of a can of full fat coconut milk)
2 Tbsparrowroot starch
·optional toppings: lemon slices, chopped nuts, pumpkin seeds, lemon zest
How to Make Lemon & Almond Slices
- Place the cashews in a bowl of boiling water and leave to rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/340F.
- Place the ground almonds and coconut sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Add in the maple syrup and melted coconut oil and stir until a dough is formed. You should be able to roll the mixture into a ball, if you find the mixture too dry or crumbly add a little bit more coconut oil.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the dough inside it, pressing it firmly until you have an even layer spread across the bottom of the tray (We used a small glass to roll it out evenly).
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until it starts to brown, then remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Drain the water from the cashews and place in a blender with the coconut cream (the hardened cream from the top of a can of coconut milk), honey, lemon zest, lemon juice and arrowroot starch. Pulse until fully combined. Taste the mixture, it should taste really creamy and with a tangy lemon flavour. If you need to add more lemon juice, add it now.
- Place the mixture on top of the almond base and put back in the oven for a further 15 minutes.
- Leave out to cool for 15 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Top with lemon slices, chopped nuts, pumpkin seeds and lemon zest to serve.