Kiffles, A Hungarian Pastry
How to Make Kiffles, A Hungarian Pastry
- (Original recipe called for 2 yeast cakes, but they are so hard to come by, that Dee Dee had to do the yeast conversion.)
Mix the Yeast and Hot Water together first, then, add to sour cream. Finally add in egg yolks.
- Mix the four and lard together with pastry blender, then by hand.
- Add sour cream mixture to flour mixture; mix initially with a spoon, then with hands. Knead as with bread dough several minutes. If too wet, add 1 tablespoon at a time. Place in refrigerator overnight.
- To roll out:
Sprinkle sugar on board (like flour). The sugar is your friend in rolling this out. Take a handful of dough at a time from bowl in refrigerator. Roll out dough on sugared board. Use bread knife to cut dough into 2" squares. Place filling on one end, fold over twice. Place on ungreased cookie sheet with seam side down.
- Bake 11 - 15 minutes in preheated oven set at 375 degrees.
I used 2 cans of Solo's Apricot Cake and Pastry Filling.
DO NOT MAKE THIS WHEN WEATHER IS HIGH HUMIDITY.
- Filling notes: My grandmother made her own apricot filling: 1 lb Apricot through a blender with water. Cook covered with sugar and water. She also made a nut filling: Grind walnuts very fine in blender. Add about 3 Tablespoons of sugar for every 12 ounces of nuts. Heat a little milk. Add a little at a time to nuts until it becomes a pasty.