Grilled Pineapple Napoleons With Coconut Caramel Sauce
NOTE: you can also substitute the pineapple with grilled bananas!
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This was SUCH a good dessert!
We love grilled fruit. And the caramel sauce - delicious. We never thought of grilling phyllo sheets before ... but that made for a really impressive dessert. The Test Kitchen
COCONUT CARAMEL SAUCE
1/2 clight brown sugar
1 cunsweetened coconut milk
GRILLED PINEAPPLE NAPOLEONS
4frozen phyllo sheets, thawed
·vegetable cooking spray
1fresh pineapple cut into wide slices. only use fresh!
·cinnamon sugar mix ( i usually don't measure this i just spinkle it on both side of pineapple)
·home made whipped cream or reddi whip to place on top
*TIP: YOU CAN USE AS MUCH PINEAPPLE SLICES BETWEEN THE LAYERS THAT YOU WANT. THIS IS ALSO GREAT WITH GRILLED BANANAS!
How to Make Grilled Pineapple Napoleons With Coconut Caramel Sauce
- FOR CARAMEL SAUCE: Combine the sugar and coconut milk in heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking to dissolve the sugar. Simmer briskly until thick, golden and very flavorful, about 5 minutes or so, whisking often. Remove the pan from the heat and let the sauce cool to room temperature.
- FOR THE NAPOLEONS: Place 1 phyllo sheet on a flat work surface. Coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle evenly with 1/2 tsp. sugar. Top with 1 phyllo sheet; coat again with cooking spray, and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. sugar. Cut phyllo stack into thirds lengthwise; cut each in half, creating 6 even rectangular stacks. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo sheets, cooking spray, and 1 tsp. sugar.
- Grill phyllo stacks, without grill lid, over medium-low heat, 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Set aside till ready to assemble.
- Next sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on both sides of the pineapple slices. Grill the pineapple on med heat until warmed through and softened. Remove from grill onto a plate and get ready to assemble the napoleons.
- Place 1 grilled phyllo stack on each of 6 serving plates; top with pineapple slices. Drizzle caramel sauce evenly on top of pineapple slices. Top each with 1 grilled phyllo stack. Top with fresh whipped cream or ready whip and drizzle with more caramel sauce. Serve immediately while pineapple is still warm.