★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 6 Tbsp
- chilled butter
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 c
- 1/4 - 1/2 c
- ice cold water
- pie filling, any flavor
How to Make Fruit Turnover
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil for easy clean up :)
- 2Measure flour and salt into bowl. Cut in butter and shortening thoroughly until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- 3Sprinkle water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until all flour is moistened and dough almost cleans side of bowl.
- 4Gather dough into ball; shape into flattened round circle on piece of wax paper. Cover with a second piece of wax paper and roll until 1/8 inch thickness is achieved.
- 5Use a biscuit cutter or circular cookie cutter to make a round turnover. Place about 2 tablespoons of pie filling into the center of the dough - don't use too much or it will ooze out!
- 6Rub cold water around dough edge; either fold other side over filling or place equal size circle on top and gently but firmly press together to seal edges. Use fork to add decorative crimped edge if desired. Also pierce top of crust 2 or 3 times to allow steam to escape.
- 7To make glazed finish, rub milk or water over the top of turnover and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golded brown.