Fruit filled Crumble bars
I usually use strawberry or raspberry preserves, but they will work with any kind....
Have added peanut butter (crunchy kind melted for 30 seconds in the microwave) to the cake mix & oatmeal mixture along with the butter, then used grape & raspberry preserves and made peanut butter and jelly bars.... Yummy as well.
Thinking of for fall time, adding cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice to crumb mixture and trying with apple pie filling, or apple butter.... haven't tried that yet but will. will post a coment when I do saying yes it worked or not it didn't.... :)
Also you can easily double this recipe using the whole cake mix, adding more butter and using more preserves pressing it into a 13 x 9 cake pan.
How to Make Fruit filled Crumble bars
- Mix cake mix & oats in bowl. Pour in melted butter stir until crumbly.
- In another bowl put preserves & water stirring well to thin out preserves.
- Pat 1/2 of the crumb mixture in ungreased 8x8 pan patting well to make crust.
- Spread preserves over bottom layer stopping about 1/4 inch in from all the sides (don't spread preserves to edge of pan they will burn)
- Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over top completely covering preserve mixture, pat top down evening out layer of topping.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes at 375 degrees (they will be light colored not brown at all but don't cook for any longer than 20 minutes cause the bottom will burn. Remove from oven and cool. When cool cut into bars... enjoy