Frozen Strawberry Meringue
Rev BJ Friley
How to Make Frozen Strawberry Meringue
- Crushed Strawberries: Wash berries under cold, running water. Remove hulls. Drain. Put berries into a small bowl. Mash with a potato masher or the rim of a glass. Set aside 1 cup to beat into the meringue. Sweeten remaining crushed berries to taste with powdered sugar or honey. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preparation: In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites on medium-high speed until the hold soft moist peaks.
- Add sugar, about 1 Tablespoon at a time and beating constantly until meringue is thick and glossy.
- Add the 1 cup crushed strawberries.
- Beat on medium speed just to blend.
- Transfer meringue mixture to a freezer container.
- Cover or wrap well.
- Freeze at least 1 hour until solid. (You can store in the freezer up to 1 month).
- To serve, spoon crushed, sweetened-to-taste berries evenly in the bottom of 4 individual stemmed glasses or shallow dishes.
- Top with frozen berry meringue.
- Garnish with strawberries and mint sprigs, if desired.