6-8pieces ripe banana or plantain, about 3" long
12-15strips dried jackfruit (dried mango, dried pineapple or dried lychee can be substituted or canned)
12-15lumpia wrappers or spring roll wrappers
1 cbrown sugar or piloncillo
·cooking oil for high heat frying
How to Make Filipino Turon
- Separate the spring roll wrappers, arrange your prep plates in correct order: sliced banana/plantain, sugar, jackfruit or sub.
- Lay down the lumpia or spring rollwrapper, dip the banana in sugar and place on one end of the wrapper; lay a slice of jackfruit (or sub) on top.
- Heat up the oil in medium heat and fry the turon with the sealed end side down first (to keep it sealed). Cook until slightly browned and flip.
- Fry the other side, and once slightly browned, sprinkle sugar (about 1 tablespoon per roll) onto the oil to caramelize and glaze the fried roll. Watch carefully to avoid burning!
- Fry until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up the excess oil. Serve hot.