- pieces ripe banana or plantain, about 3" long
- strips dried jackfruit (dried mango, dried pineapple or dried lychee can be substituted or canned)
- lumpia wrappers or spring roll wrappers
- 1 c
- brown sugar or piloncillo
- cooking oil for high heat frying
How to Make Filipino Turon
- 1Separate the spring roll wrappers, arrange your prep plates in correct order: sliced banana/plantain, sugar, jackfruit or sub.
- 2Lay down the lumpia or spring rollwrapper, dip the banana in sugar and place on one end of the wrapper; lay a slice of jackfruit (or sub) on top.
- 3Heat up the oil in medium heat and fry the turon with the sealed end side down first (to keep it sealed). Cook until slightly browned and flip.
- 4Fry the other side, and once slightly browned, sprinkle sugar (about 1 tablespoon per roll) onto the oil to caramelize and glaze the fried roll. Watch carefully to avoid burning!
- 5Fry until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up the excess oil. Serve hot.