Cinnamony Appley Heaven - with a touch of butter
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 can(s)cinnamon rolls (regular, special, or flavored)
21 ozapple pie filling (also alterable)
3/4 cpecans, chopped fine (or walnuts or hazelnuts or. . . )
3/4 crolled oats
1/2 cpacked brown sugar
1/2 tspground cinnamon
8 Tbspbutter, melted
How to Make Cinnamony Appley Heaven - with a touch of butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray pie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Dust with additional sugar (not the sugar used in the topping).
- Coarse chop the cinnamon rolls into 1/2" cubes. Sprinkle evenly over the bottom of the pie plate. If needed, coarse chop the apples in the pie filling. Layer on top of the cinnamon rolls.
- For the filling: combine flour, pecans, oats, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in butter until mixture is thoroughly moistened and crumbly. Sprinkle on top of pie filling.
- Place pan on a large baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake at 350°F for 45 - 50 minutes. Drizzle with frosting included with the pan while still warm.
- Alternatives: My original recipe calls for Rhodes Anytime! Cinnamon rolls, but what fun to use any other kind? Pumpkin flavored in the fall? Rustic homemade rolls? Tailor nuts, pie filling, and spices to this alternative.
The pie filling can also be altered. Again, the original called for blueberry (and it's divine). Or, peach?
Nuts: Go wild! I didn't have enough pecans, so I also used pistachio's the last time. But, walnut, hazelnut, peanut. . . All wonderful sounding, eh?
Spices: These can, and should be, tailored to the other alterations. Using blueberry? Try lemon zest. Peach? Hmm, maybe some ginger? Have fun!
Frosting: It's most economical to just use the frosting packet that came with the cinnamon rolls, but why not blend other flavors in?!? Vanilla, marshmallow, cream cheese, peanut butter (they now make banana pie filling, so why not?)