Cheesy Apple Empanadas
Vanessa "Nikita" Milare
1empanada dough mix
3 mediumgranny smith apples, peeled, cored & finely chopped
1 ccheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
2 tspcinnamon, ground & divided
1 ccool whip, thawed
How to Make Cheesy Apple Empanadas
- First prepare the empanada dough as directed. Then mix the apple, cheese, brown sugar & 1 tsp. of the cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Shape the dough into 24 balls using about 1 Tbsp. of the dough for each ball. Then press each ball into a 4 inch round.
- Spoon about 2 Tbsp of the apple mixture onto the center of each round. Then fold the right edge over the filling & repeat with the left edge. Then take the bottom edge & fold up to join in the center forming a triangle.
- Place the triangles with the seam sides down on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Lightly brush empanadas with water.
- Then combine the remaining 1 tsp. cinnamon & sugar. Sprinkle evenly over the empanadas. Bake for abotu 18 mins or until golden brown. Serve warm or cooled.
- Then top with the COOL WHIP.
- Special Tip: You may substitute 3 pears for the apples.