Caramel Fried Apples or Bananas1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/2 call purpose flour
3/4 tspbaking powder
2golden delicious apples or 2 bananas
2/3 cgranulated sugar
1/3 cwarm water
1 Tbspsalad oil
2 tspsesame seeds
How to Make Caramel Fried Apples or Bananas
- In a bowl, mix flour, cornstarch and baking powder.
- Add water and stir until smooth.
- Peel and core apples; cut each apple into 3 wedges.
- (If you use bananas, peel and cut in 1/2 inch thick diagonal slices.)
- Place fruit in batter and turn to coat evenly.
- Into a deep pan pour oil to a depth of about 1 1/2 inches.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Using chopsticks or a spoon, lift one piece of fruit at a time from batter and let excess batter drip off, then lower fruit into hot oil.
- Cook several pieces at a time until coating is golden brown (about 2 minutes).
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Generously oil a flat serving dish.
- Fill a serving bowl to the brim with ice cubes; cover with water.
- Place sugar, water and oil in a ten inch frying pan; stir to blend.
- Place pan over high heat.
- When mixture begins to bubble (about one minute), shake pan continuously to prevent burning.
- Continue cooking and shaking pan until syrup *just* turns a pale straw color (about 9 minutes).
- Immediately remove from heat, add sesame seeds and swirl to mix.
- (Syrup will continue to cook after you remove it from heat and color will turn golden in a few seconds.)
- Drop fruit into syrup and swirl to coat evenly.
- Using two spoons, immediately remove each piece of fruit and place on oiled dish so pieces do not touch.
- At table, dip each piece of fruit in ice water so coating hardens and fruit cools.